Top 6 Drugs Of Choice For Montana. You May Be Surprised.
Drug use is on the rise throughout the United States and we see it more and more here in Montana.
What are the 6 most used drugs in Montana?
You would think Marijuana would be number one, but considering it is now legal, the arrests are far fewer than they have been in the past years.
Top 6 Drugs Used In Montana:
1. Alcohol. According to Rehab Advisor, people in Montana drink more than people in the rest of the country. How did they come up with this? Here are the stats they used:
- 1 in 5 adults (19.8%) admitted to binge drinking in the last month. Nationwide, the number is only 16.3%.
- 7.7% of adults are heavy drinkers, but the U.S. average is 6.3%.
- There are 37.7 alcohol-related deaths for every 100,000 people. That is the highest rate in the country.
- In Montana, 34% of fatal traffic accidents involve alcohol. The national average is 29%.
2. Marijuana. Prior to November 2020, when we voted to legalize marijuana, 91% of all drug offenses in Montana were for possession, and almost half were related to paraphernalia.
3. Meth. Rehab Advisor stated:
Between 2001 and 2017, the state experienced almost a 5 fold increase in meth cases, and officials claim that meth use contributed to the 35% increase in violent crime. -Rehab Advisor
4. Heroin. In the last year, over 3,000 Montana residents reported using heroin.
5. Other Narcotics. Mainstream drugs typically get the attention of the headlines. With that being said, there are many prescription drugs being abused in our state. With over 275 arrests in the last year, synthetic opioids as well as morphine and fentanyl, are highly abused drugs in Montana as well.
6. Depressants. These include sleeping pills, barbiturates, Xanax, and sedatives. Often prescribed by a medical professional, these drugs, mixed with alcohol or other drugs, make them deadly.
cc: Rehab Advisor